Creative Call Out - Dark Side Port Side
An exciting opportunity for film -makers and poets/writers to create a piece of poetry film which re-imagines the dark histories of Portsmouth!
We are looking for poetry film submissions to be part of a digital poetry film trail which is set in Portsea, Portsmouth and which will be launched in 2019.
The submission will be based on an existing historic trail created by The University of Portsmouth, which uncovered the notorious histories of areas that sailors first stepped ashore after arduous maritime journeys and created a digital walking trail called Sailortown.
With support from The Arts Council we will be creating Dark Side Ports Side and asking you to re-imagine these histories and create an alternative story line based on the Portsea district of Portsmouth. The stories will be told in poetry format with up to 14 short films which can be accessed by an app and walked as a trail which will be locative responsive.
The key elements of the project are as follows:
- There are a total of 14 sites that we wish you to base your submission on in Portsea and which should connect as closely as possible to one of the sites set in Sailortown.
- We will award a fee of £200.00 for each submission which we use as part of our digital trail.
- Films should be no longer than 2 minutes.
- We will initially require a note of interest from you by end Friday October 5th - we will then send you more in-depth guidelines for your submission as well as details of further workshops/events in connection with the project. Note we may be able to match you up with film makers looking for writers/poets or vice versa so juts let us know if this is the case.
- The closing date for us receiving films will be March 11th 2019.
To assist you with the development 2 examples of practice have already been created and can be viewed as below:
‘The Unfortunates’ - Film by Matt Parsons, Poem by Maggie Sawkins and based on Sea Brothels/ Southampton Row location of Sailortown.
‘Love Lost and Found’ - Film and poem by The Metaverse Project and based on The George Hotel location of Sailortown.
JOIN US FOR A LAUNCH EVENT AND Q&A
On Saturday November 3rd from 3-5pm, at The Loft, Kings Bar , Southsea (opposite The Kings Theatre), films will be shown with live poetry readings and music which connect with Dark Side Port Side and will also provide an opportunity for you to ask questions.
email@example.com to register interest and find out more!